The VDOF was established in 1914 to prevent and suppress forest fires and reforest bare lands. Since our inception, we have grown and evolved to encompass other protection and management duties:
- Protecting Virginia’s Forests from Wildfire
- Managing the Forest Resource
- Protecting Virginia’s Waters
- Conservation of Virginia’s Forests
- Manage the State Lands and Nurseries
- Regulated Incentive Programs for Forest Landowner
VDOF protects 15.8 million acres of forest land from fire, insects and disease and manages 22 State Forest lands totaling 67,920 acres for timber, recreation, water, research, wildlife and biodiversity.
Learn more about our mission, vision and values.